Monday, July 30, 2007

Goodbye Wi-Fi


Until recently whenever I used my computer I felt really "weird".

I'd get a pain in my left temple and the left side of my face would burn. My lips and tongue would tingle, I'd get pins and needles in my toes and fingers, my chest would feel tight as though I couldn't breathe properly and I'd feel sick and disorientated. Also I felt the blood was rushing round my body much too fast.

As I said I felt really "weird" despite wearing two bio guard pendants around my neck to protect me from the electrosensitivity emitted from electro magnetic fields. I'm not sure if wearing two is really necessary but being surrounded by so many electrical gadgets I felt I needed all the help I could get.

So what's changed?

I got rid of the Wi-Fi internet connection in my house.

I spend a lot of time on my computer and using the Internet has become a way of life, not just for me but for the other members of my family too. Consequently we needed a system whereby we could all be connected at the same time if necessary.

Wi-Fi was brilliant as it was fast, efficient and there were no unsightly wires running all over the house.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Wi-Fi is an acronym for Wireless Fidelity and enables people with laptop computers to access the internet whilst moving around. In homes it means the internet is accessible in any room - even the toilet if you are that desperate, and in most cities you will find Wi-Fi hotspots where you can log on.

In my house I have one room which I affectionately call my "office", and it was here I had the Wi-Fi router installed. It was also where I did most of my computer work. The router was in one corner of the room and when I sat down at my computer it was about head height.

Fortunately for me I watched a quality BBC programme about WI-Fi on the television recently and by the end of the impartial reporting I was left in no doubt as to why I felt so strange.

In Sweden the problem with Wi-Fi is recognised as an official disability and affects about 3% of the population. All the symptoms which the people in the programme displayed were those which I was experiencing.

I decided to test whether I was right so I switched off my Wi-Fi connection and used my computer off line. I was able to spend a considerable amount of time on the computer without any unpleasant symptoms.

Next, I tried accessing the Internet using the computer in a different room from my "office". I had the Wi-Fi switched on but was away from the router. This time I still suffered the weird symptoms but not quite as quickly as when I say opposite it.

Lastly, I left the Wi-Fi router switched on but didn't actually use the computer. I still felt "weird".

That settled it for me. The Wi-Fi had to go. As long as it was in the house I was vulnerable regardless of whether I was using it or not.

Wi-Fi passes through walls and I can even pick up my neighbours wireless internet connection on my computer although he, obviously, lives in a different house. However, the further away from the source I am the better so it's not too much of a problem.

I've replaced the Wi-Fi with a connection made via the electrical sockets in our house. It uses the electrical wiring currently in place and means that like the Wi-Fi the Internet is accessible in any room where there is an electrical socket.

The connection isn't quite as fast but I don't care. I no longer feel ill and for me that's all that matters.

There is no question Wi-Fi is an incredible technological advancement, but like mobile phones the health risks are unclear. No-one has ever lived a life time using the technology and until they have the risks cannot be accurately assessed.

For me Wi-Fi is one advancement I can personally do without. How about you?



Jean Shaw is the author of I'm Not Naughty - I'm Autistic, and Autism, Amalgam and Me http://www.jeanshaw.com

To read Jean's original article on the dangers of Wi-Fi and her other articles

Article Source: http://www.articlerich.com

No comments: